Five Spice Baby Back Ribs with Chinese Barbecue Sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup sliced gingerroot
- 2 tsp. five-spice powder
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 pounds pork baby back ribs, cut into four to five-rib sections.
- 1 to 2 tsp. toasted sesame seed
- Chinese Barbecue Sauce
- Place chicken stock, gingerroot, five-spice powder, soy sauce, and garlic in a large saucepan, slowly bring to a simmer.
- Add ribs to simmering liquid. Simmer slowly, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove ribs; set aside to cool.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Boil liquid gently until reduced to 1 1/3 cup; set aside.
- To grill, brush ribs liberally with Chinese Barbecue Sauce. Grill 8 to 10 minutes over medium coals or till ribs are heated though and sauce has caramelized slightly, turning after 6 minutes.
- To bake, place ribs on a foil-lined baking sheet; brush liberally with Chinese Barbecue sauce. Bake in 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till ribs are heated though and sauce has caramelized slightly.
- Cut the cooked ribs into two-rib pieces. Heat the reduced braising liquid, and pour a little over ribs to moisten. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seed and garnish with cilantro.
[Next Recipe] [Chinese Recipes] [International Recipes] [Related Sites] [Home]